Candidates across the country have argued their cases, they have presented values, and now they are looking for you to participate in a consequential election today.
So, what’s it going to be?
Republicans have championed the robust economy, they have passed tax cuts for nearly every taxpayer and promised continued cuts; they have increased funding for the military and promised to protect the Second Amendment amid Democrat calls for gun control; they have boasted historic unemployment levels and even obtained—for the first time in history—more job opportunities than the number of people looking for jobs.
Republicans also contributed some funding to the southern border wall, increased the number of border forces stationed at the border, reduced illegal immigration pouring into the country, and confirmed two Supreme Court Justices and a record number of appellate court judges.
Democrats, however, have vowed to repeal all that Republicans have done. Not one Democrat voted in favor of the largest tax cuts legislation in recent history and many of them campaign on reversing the tax cuts, passing gun control, impeaching President Trump, and a continued investigation of Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh.
The values could not be further apart and now the power is placed in the hands of the voters to decide the direction of the country.
Every election is important and some monumental upsets have already occurred in special elections and primary elections across the country. But, as ABC News reports, there are 18 key elections which could “paint a picture of the nation and the storylines and trends emerging from coast to coast.”
Seven of the races include Senate races from Arizona, Indiana, Mississippi, Nevada, North Dakota, Tennessee, and Texas.
Via ABC News:
- Rep. Martha McSally: Current congresswoman from Arizona’s 2nd district; former Air Force fighter pilot | Age: 52 (Mar. 22, 1966)
- Rep. Kyrsten Sinema: Current congresswoman from Arizona’s 9th district | Age: 42 (July 12, 1976)
- Mike Braun: Business owner | Age: N/A
- Sen. Joe Donnelly: Incumbent U.S. senator | Age: 62 (Sept. 29, 1955)
- Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith: Current U.S. senator, former Mississippi Agricultural Secretary, former Mississippi state senator, beef-cattle farmer | Age 58 (May 10, 1959)
- Chris McDaniel: Mississippi state senator, lawyer, 2014 U.S. Senate GOP Candidate | Age 46 (Feb. 28, 1971)
- Mike Espy : Former U.S. representative, former U.S. Agricultural Secretary, lawyer | Age 64 (Nov. 30, 1953)
- Sen. Dean Heller: Incumbent U.S. senator, appointed to the Senate by Sandoval in 2011, elected in 2012 | Age: 58
- Rep. Jacky Rosen: Currently represents Nevada’s 3rd District in the House of Representatives | Age: 60
North Dakota —
- Rep. Kevin Cramer: Representative from North Dakota’s At-Large Congressional District (2013 to present) | Age: 57 (Jan. 21, 1961)
- Sen. Heidi Heitkamp: Currently representing North Dakota in the U.S. Senate | Age: 62 (Oct. 30, 1955)
- Rep. Marsha Blackburn: Currently representing Tennessee’s 7th Congressional District | Age: 65 (June 6, 1952)
- Phil Bredesen: Former mayor of Nashville (1991 to 1999), former governor of Tennessee (2003 to 2011), swept every county in the state in his 2006 re-election bid | Age: 74 (Nov. 21, 1943)
- Sen. Ted Cruz: Currently representing Texas in the U.S. Senate; former Texas solicitor general | Age: 47 (Dec. 22, 1970)
- Rep. Beto O’Rourke: Currently representing Texas’ 16th congressional district in the U.S. House | Age: 45 (Sept. 26, 1972)
The results from eleven House races across the country also could help predict the ultimate outcome of the election and whether Republicans maintain their majorities in both congressional chambers, or if Democrats will win one or both.
The 48th District of California (CA-48)
- Rep. Dana Rohrabacher: Incumbent U.S. representative | Age: 71 (June 21, 1947)
- Harley Rouda: Businessman
The First District of Iowa (IA-01)
- Rep. Rod Blum: Two-term congressman, member of the House Freedom Caucus. Serves on the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, House Small Business Committee, and as chairman of the subcommittee on Agriculture, Energy and Trade. | Age: 63 (April 26, 1955)
- State Rep. Abby Finkenauer: Two-term state representative, served as the State of Iowa’s Volunteers Coordinator for Biden’s presidential campaign in 2008 | Age: 29 (December 27, 1988)
The Sixth District of Kentucky (KY-06)
- Rep. Andy Barr: Incumbent U.S. representative | Age: 45
- Amy McGrath: Former Marine fighter pilot | Age: 42
The First District of New Hampshire (NH-01)
- Eddie Edwards: Retired chief of police for South Hampton, Navy veteran, served as chief of New Hampshire State Division of Liquor Enforcement | Age: 49
- Chris Pappas: Member of the New Hampshire Executive Council | Age: 38
The 11th District of New Jersey (NJ-11)
- Jay Webber: New Jersey state assemblyman and attorney | Age: 46
- Mikie Sherrill: Former federal prosecutor and helicopter pilot for the U.S. Navy | Age: 46
The 17th District of Pennsylvania (PA-17)
- Rep. Keith Rothfus: Three-term congressman currently representing Pennsylvania’s 12th congressional district | Age: 56 (April 25, 1962)
- Rep. Conor Lamb: First-term congressman currently representing Pennsylvania’s 18th congressional district | Age: 34 (June 27, 1984)
The Seventh District of Texas (TX-07)
- Rep. John Culberson: Incumbent U.S. representative since 2001 | Age: 61 (Aug. 24, 1956)
- Lizzie Pannill Fletcher: Attorney | Age: 43 (Feb. 13, 1975)
The Tenth District of Virginia (VA-10)
- Rep. Barbara Comstock: Incumbent U.S. representative, former Virginia House of Delegates member | Age: 59 (Jun. 30, 1959)
- Jennifer Wexton: Virginia state Senator | Age: 50 (May. 27, 1968)
The Third District of West Virginia (WV-03)
- Carol Miller: Member of the West Virginia House of Delegates | Age: 67 (Nov. 4, 1950)
- Richard Ojeda: West Virginia state senator | Age: 47 (Oct. 25, 1970)
Two critical gubernatorial elections are taking place in Georgia and Florida with the following candidates:
Georgia Republican candidate
- Brian Kemp: Georgia secretary of state | Age: 55 (Nov. 2, 1963)
Georgia Democratic candidate
- Stacey Abrams: Former minority leader of the Georgia House of Representatives | Age: 44 (Dec. 9, 1973)
Florida Republican candidate
- Ron DeSantis: Current U.S. representative for Florida’s 6th congressional district | Age: 39 (Sept. 14, 1978)
Florida Democratic candidate
- Andrew Gillum: Mayor of Tallahassee | Age: 39 (July 26, 1979)
For more information concerning the individual candidates, click here.