President Trump is not leaving anything up to chance and is sending all but the kitchen sink to the United States-Mexico border as a migrant caravan looms.
The 7,000-strong group left Honduras a couple of weeks ago and has traveled more than a thousand miles in an effort to reach the Texas border fence where they undoubtedly hope to gain entry into the U.S. Trump has repeatedly said he would not permit the migrants entry into the country, but they are persisting nonetheless.
ABC News reports that Trump and the Department of Defense will be sending 5,200 American soldiers, heavy equipment and even helicopters to the border:
The U.S. military announced Monday that, by the end of the week, it will send 5,200 active duty troops to the southwest border, as well as helicopters and heavy equipment to build new barriers, to meet a request from the Department of Homeland Security to augment resources in anticipation of the arrival of two caravans of migrants currently in Mexico.
The deployment of active duty service members was triggered by President Trump’s remarks last week that he wanted the military to get involved in dealing with the caravan of migrants from Central America.
In a recent tweet, Trump said there were “Many Gang Members and some very bad people” in the migrant caravan and called their ambition to enter the U.S. nothing short of an “invasion.”
“Many Gang Members and some very bad people are mixed into the Caravan heading to our Southern Border,” the president said on Monday. “Please go back, you will not be admitted into the United States unless you go through the legal process. This is an invasion of our Country and our Military is waiting for you!”
The showdown is expected to come in a couple weeks as the caravan is still in Central Mexico.
In another tweet, President Trump said his administration is working to bring reform to the immigration system as a whole.
“The United States has been spending Billions of Dollars a year on Illegal Immigration. This will not continue. Democrats must give us the votes to pass strong (but fair) laws. If not, we will be forced to play a much tougher hand.”
The president also revealed that he could effectively change birthright citizenship through an executive order:
Trump explained details of the major immigration move during an exclusive interview with Axios, where he said he previously thought that it would take an amendment to the Constitution or at least legislation from Congress to change the birthright law. But, Trump said he was speaking to his legal counsel and they believe he could walk a fine line in barring some birthright citizenships via executive order.
“It was always told to me that you needed a constitutional amendment,” the president said. “Guess what? You don’t.”
“You can definitely do it with an Act of Congress. But now they’re saying I can do it just with an executive order,” he added.
Check it out, per Fox News:
President Trump said in a newly released interview he plans to sign an executive order ending so-called “birthright citizenship” for babies of non-citizens born on U.S. soil — a move that would mark a major overhaul of immigration policy and trigger an almost-certain legal battle.
Birthright citizenship allows any baby born on U.S. soil to automatically be a U.S. citizen.
The policy, which stems from a disputed but long-recognized interpretation of the 14th Amendment, has given rise to what Trump considers abuse of the immigration system.
The order will likely face an immediate legal challenge, should he go through with the idea.